Summer had officially arrived! There is no need to waste the beautiful sunny days in a hot kitchen.
The pesto caprese salad is one of those restaurant favorites, that is super simple (and much cheaper) to make at home. Remember being fancy doesn’t have to be complicated.
You can make your pesto from scratch. If you have a food processor, making pesto is a sinch and only has five ingredients. Otherwise the best alternative is to buy fresh pesto from the fridge section in your grocery store. The pesto found in a jar with pasta sauce, should be your last choice.
Recipe: Basil & Pine Nut Pesto
Which ever pesto route you choose, you still can make a delicious salad. When it comes to making salads that highlight very few ingredients, be sure that everything is as fresh as possible. Your local farmers market is an awesome place to find some good tomatoes & basil.
- 1 large(2 medium) green heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/4″ thick
- fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4″ thick
- a bundle of fresh basil leaves
- 2 TBSP fresh basil pesto
- extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- white balsamic vinegar (regular is fine), to drizzle
- flake salt (kosher or sea salt)
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Lightly season tomato slices with salt
- Spread a thin amount of pesto on each tomato slice, set aside
- On a serving platter arrange the salad. Start with a tomato, then mozzarella & a basil leaf. Alternate until all ingredients are used.
- Season the salad with a couple turns of black pepper.
- Drizzle over olive oil & balsamic before serving