Baked eggs, also referred to as shirred eggs, are a very easy way to create a gourmet looking dish without having to toil too hard in the kitchen. For a full breakfast, serve with a few slices of toasted baguette and some bacon. Oh and mimosas as well! Wine pairings aren’t exclusive to dinner…
In a saute pan over medium heat, heat olive oil adding sliced garlic & spinach. I found this ‘red’ spinach at Trader Joe’s. Still wondering why purple foods are called red (i.e. red onions.)
Season with a good pinch of salt and cook until wilted.
Be sure to use a feta cheese that has some moisture to it, preferably in a brine. You could also use goat’s cheese or ricotta instead.
Divide the spinach between two buttered small ceramic baking dish (or ramekins). Crack in two eggs each & top with crumbled feta, salt & black pepper.
Put in a splash of cream or whole milk to keep the eggs from getting too dry. Bake for 11-15 minutes. The cook time will depend on how runny you like your eggs. Serve them right in the dish, using a bit of parsley.
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups red spinach
- 2 oz feta cheese
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 tsp heavy cream or whole milk
- 1 tsp butter
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- chopped italian parsley, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350* degrees. Over medium heat, saute garlic in olive oil until fragrant.
- Add in spinach and a pinch of salt. Cook until wilted.
- Liberally butter the ceramic baking dishes. Divide spinach, eggs (2 each) and feta between the dishes. Season well with salt & pepper.
- Pour 1 tsp cream/milk over each dish. (Use more if dish is your wide.)
- Bake for 11-15 minutes, depending on desired doneness of yolk.
- Garnish with parsley.