For my roommate Chloe’s 23rd birthday, she requested something different than a cake.
Cake pops are all the rage, and this hybrid of the fruity pebble cake & a rice krispies treat was an instant hit.
Because fruity pebbles are already so sweet, I thought it would be a bit much to coat that sugary cereal in more sugar from the marshmallows. What I ended up doing was following the recipe for Rice Krispies Treats found on the marshmallow bag, and substituted half of the rice krispies for fruity pebbles.
Needless to say these were a big hit at the party. I’m shocked at how quickly they vanished. I definitely should have made 2 batches.
These are made the same way as you would any other rice krispies treats. You start off making the marshmallow/butter goo & then toss in the cereal.
Use a mini muffin pan to help maintain the shape of the pops so they can properly set without falling apart. Be sure to keep a bowl of water near for when your hands get too sticky from forming the pops.
- 3 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 3 cups fruitty pebbles
- 1 bag jumbo marshmallows (40 marshmallows)
- 3 TBSP butter
- 1/2 jar creme cheese icing
- 40 cake pop sticks
- Measure out the cereals into a large mixing bowl
- In a large microwave safe proof bowl melt the butter in the microwave for 45 seconds, or until melted
- Add in the bag of marshmallows, coating with the butter
- Microwave for 1 minute. Stir, then microwave for an addition 45sec-1 min until its a smooth sauce
- Immediately pour over the cereal, mixing well until all the cereal is coated
- Let sit for about 5 minutes. Prepare the mini muffin pans by spraying with non stick baking spray.
- Shape the mix into 1.5 in balls and place into each muffin slot. Tip: Keep a bowl of water near for when your hands get too sticky
- Microwave the frosting for 15-20 seconds until runny & drizzle over each ball. You may not use all the icing
- Insert the sticks in each ball, let sit for at least 20 minutes so they can set.